Certain acts may look good and spiritual but they don’t connote intimacy with the Lord and you must not deceive yourself by them.
1. Religiosity: Doing religious acts by routine like coming to church, carrying a bible, filling your mouth with church slangs etc. Nicodemus was like this in John 3. Religion will help no man- it is man’s own way of trying to get to God: trying to wear a cloth, go somewhere, facing a direction to pray, say certain words, engaging in certain practises. The more you do religious acts, the farther you go away from him. The Pharisees were like this and they were so far away from God.
2. Constantly Seeking for Help (John 6:26): When you find yourself in trouble and have been told only God can help; coming to church every day of the week, just for prayer or for solution. This is why people have taken the option of devil in their low moments, when they pray as much as they know but somehow they are not connecting, they will compromise and take the offer of the devil. But if God is your focus, you are safe because in HIM is your help.
3. Running to Him for refuge when a manslayer is pursing you: Men are ready to go to any length when oppressed by the enemy. They are ready to do vigil every day of the year. INTIMACY IS A HEART DRAW!
4. Drawing near the things of God because of Power, fame and Prominence: See Simon the sorcerer in Acts 8:19. The mother of James and John in Matthew 20:20, she came and worshipped; all to request that her sons get prominence in the kingdom.
5. The communion you have with God over your calling: If God wants to use you, He will come and speak with you. Intimacy is a personal affair; it is not because of service.
PRAYER: Lord, I repent of every pseudo religious acts and pray for a grace for a renewed fellowship with you- that I will love you for who you are in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Bible in a year: 1 Kings 11:1-12:19, Acts 9:1-25, Psalm 131:1-3, Proverbs 17:4-5